Tuesday, November 11, 2008

2. Ramones S/T

From the first time I heard the Ramones I knew that my satanic, devil worshiping heavy metal was not going to destroy disco. Joey Ramone was. This album wasn’t great music, I recognized that. You weren’t going to get into a discussion about the complexity of time changes. You couldn’t sit around and get stoned with your friends and analyze the lyrics like we did with Pink Floyd. You just listened to it, for the sake of listening and enjoying. It gave me a feeling like there was something more out there, something beyond the layered nuances of Led Zeppelin songs that were really nothing more than Lord of the Rings fanfic. Something so simple, yet so enormous.

Favorite song: 53rd & 3rd
Ramones on wiki

3 comments:

Cullen said...

So, like I said at ABV, End of the Century was on yesterday and it was the first time I'd seen it. Kind of bittersweet, really.

I guess what I really need to say here is, "Fu, fu, fu, fu, fu, fu, fu, fu, funky."

Andy Jukes said...

I remember seeing an ad for this record in Rolling Stone. There about 100 quotes from critics - 50 saying it was the worst record ever, and 50 saying it was the best.

That's when I knew I had to hear it for myself.

Solonor Rasreth said...

Getting caught up with your reviews.

I have a feeling our record collections are pretty similar (yours being a little heavier on the metal side and mine containing a lot more old country stuff).

The Ramones are my personal rock gods. The world was filled with "Seasons in the Sun" and "Billy Don't Be a Hero" and then came "Beat on the Brat." Teh End.