Friday, November 14, 2008

28. Faith No More - King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime

I used to drink. A lot. Sometimes I'd sit there with a bottle of gin and my iPod and listen to this album over and over again and laugh bitterly during Take This Bottle. This whole album has a bitter, angry tinge to it and it's so much fun to sit and listen and attribute each song to someone who fucked you over at some point in your life.

Or maybe it's just me. I played this album repeatedly during one of those horrid phases of my life, so it's a guilt by association thing. It's really an epic album; a lot of critics will claim it's FNM's weakest effort (I give that claim to The Real Thing), but that's probably because you have to get Mike Patton in order to really appreciate this effort. You may recognize Diggin' the Grave, but dig deep into KFoD and get to songs like Just a Man or Ricochet or The Last To Know and you get at the heart of the band and the soul of Patton; his voice is all over the place here, in a good way. Patton's vocal chords are a music instrument unto themselves.

This album also gave me a reason to call my sister every June 21st and say Happy Birthday, Fucker.

Favorite song: Gentle Art of Making Enemies
fnm.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was in college, my roommate gave me all of the Patton FNM albums, and this is the one that grabbed me and made me a fan.

It also opened the door to Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, other Patton projects like Lovage and Peeping Tom and related bands like Secret Chiefs 3.

From there I was introduced to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum on a Bungle Fever FTP I was on back then and I owe it all to Cuckoo for Caca.

Foss said...

This is the album that made me fall in love with FNM and, later, Mr Bungle. It's like they took all the awesome from 1995 and squeezed it into a CD.