Saturday, November 29, 2008

93. Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!

The first Devo song I heard was Satisfaction. I immediately bought the album and, after listening to the whole thing twice, declared Mark Mothersbaugh a genius. This album made my friends question my sanity and it drove my mother crazy.

Two years, later my mother was singing Whip It non-stop. And then, years after that I'd be watching Rugrats with my kids and Mark Mothersbaugh's name would pop on the screen and I'd think Can't I have anything to myself?

Not that I begrudge him his success. I just find it sort of a metaphor for my youth that the man partially responsible for some of my very weird acid trips while listening to Space Junk and Sloppy is man whose work is listened to by mother and millions of young children.

Then again, my mother's favorite band is Pink Floyd.

Makes you kind of wonder about my mother's postage stamp licking addiction back in the 80's, huh?

Favorite song: Jocko Homo (predictable, perhaps, but such a great song)
Club Devo

2 comments:

Arjun said...

One of the main reasons I loved The Life Aquatic was the inclusion of Devo's Gut Feeling in the soundtrack. I love that song. It's in my top 10 for sure. And to think Mark Mothersbough also does the soundtrack to Clifford the Big Red Dog. That dude's versatile.

RR Ryan said...

His studio is right around the corner from me on Sunset in LA. I've never seen him, though.