Thursday, November 27, 2008

88. Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet

First - there is now a "what is this and why the hell are you doing it?" page.

I always say I'm not a fan of the Rolling Stones, yet when I look at my record collection, that seems to not be the case. All the classic Stones albums are there. I just don't like more Stones songs than I do like which makes more of a casual listener than a fan.

Case in point, this album. I bought this Beggar's Banquet with birthday money in 7th grade, about six years after it came out. I loved Sympathy for the Devil, and Robert, the most popular, best looking 8th grader, was a huge Stones fan. I was told by Robert's sister that Beggar's Banquet was his favorite album. Learn it, live it, love it. The key to wooing Robert.

I gave it a try, I really did. It just wasn't happening. Every time I put the album on, it would be the same ritual. Side 1, song 1. Then flip it over to Side 2, song 2. Sympathy for the Devil and Street Fighting Man over and over again. I would never impress Robert like that.

I gave up on the album and gave up on Robert. Which was a good thing, as it turns out Robert liked boys as much as he liked the Stones. I wish I knew that before I spent four dollars trying to impress him.

Favorite song: Sympathy for the Devil
Beggar's Banquet wiki

1 comment:

Solonor Rasreth said...

I owned every album they did up to ome Girls...except for Beggar's Banquet. I don't know why. I've heard it, naturally, but I'll still take Let It Bleed and Sticky Fingers over that one.