Tuesday, November 25, 2008

76. Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

This makes me feel sort of...guilty. Maybe because so many people think of Linkin Park as the band that made nu-metal radio friendly (a bad thing). Maybe because, when it comes down to it, they are nothing more than NSYNC with guitars and without the dance steps. Maybe because they are known as the band kids listen to when they are curled up in a ball in their bedroom closet, wishing away the world and crying that nobody loves them and life isn't fair. Angsty, melodramatic rock. Nirvana without teeth.

So why do I like this album so much? I have no idea. I don't know what pulls me into listening to it.

I really don't feel all that guilty about owning/liking Hybrid Theory. Just like they say you can't help who you fall in love with, you can't help what kind of music you like. It just happens. Really, I've come clean about my Justin Timberlake fascination, so there's nothing derisive you can say about my Linkin Park listening that's worse than I've already heard.

Favorite song: With You
Official site

4 comments:

Woody said...

It's a great fucking album. Period.

Foss said...

It *is* a great album, especially once you've dusted off the angst.

My guilty pleasure: McFly.

Chris said...

It's the Depeche Mode meets metal that hooked me.

Anonymous said...

I had to listen to the album again tonite in its entirety. Wow, still as powerful as the first time I heard it.