Saturday, November 15, 2008

38. Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger

Before SuperUnkown and mega-popularity came Badmotorfinger. This the best Soundgarden album. Don't let anyone tell you different. Evidence: Rusty Cage. Outshined. Searching With My Good Eye Closed. And, the piece de resitance, Drawing Flies, which is possibly the best driving song ever. The hell with the "grunge" sound. This was rock and roll. This is the Chris Cornell that I will think of whenever I hear that stupid Sunshowers song and wish that I could go back in time and kill him before he went all pussy. Well, not kill him. But, still. From Jesus Christ Pose to happy rainbow kitty unicorn ballads is a sad decline in both masculinity and dignity. We won't even discuss Audioslave.

Anyhow, Badmotorfinger is the '72 Barracuda of Soundgarden albums. It's mean, it's fast, it's badass. You're channeling raw power from start to finish.

Favorite song: Drawing Flies
Badmotorfinger at wiki

4 comments:

steelopus said...

I have distinct memories of coming home from high school and jamming along to this album. It's one of about 10 albums that I can say really helped develop my guitar playing and helped define my "sound."
It's funny that you reviewed it today, as I was just rekindling my love with it yesterday evening.

Cullen said...

I love this album, but I also really love Louder Than Love. How can you not like Full On Kevin's Mom?

Unknown said...

I remember when this came out. I bought it around the same time as Nevermind, but I never understood why Nirvana was the more popular of the two. Badmotorfinger was so huge and scary sounding, it blew away just about everything of that era.

Carin said...

I saw Soundgarden after Badmotorfinger came out. Way back in mumble mumble. Before Chris cut his hair and went all pretty boy.

Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. What a show

Anyway, I didn't know what that "Sunshine" song was, so I looked it up. Chris Cornell has a look on his face that says, to me, Why the fuck am I singing this pussy song?