Sunday, November 23, 2008

68. Kid Rock - Devil Without A Cause

I got this CD for free, from a friend who was in the music business at the time. There's really a good explanation of why I still own this.

It started one rainy week some time in 1998 or so. We had intended to go to the park just about every day, but the storm that came in the beginning of the week never let up. By Thursday, my kids were stir crazy and I was ready to kill them. I needed something to help them blow off steam and energy. I needed something to keep them from killing each other with Power Ranger imitations.

MTV was showing a video. I don't remember what band it was, but the lead singer had just jumped into a sea of fans and was going back onto the stage to dive into the crowd again.

DJ was enthralled. I explained the concept of stage diving to him. He thought it was the coolest thing ever. Natalie must have too, because she was standing on the couch, ready to launch herself to the floor. She wanted to stage dive.

Hmmm. Hmmm. Yes. Bad idea. Very bad idea. But....but......excess steam......pent-up energy.....bored out of their minds.

I took the cushions off the couch and put them on the floor. I threw a blanket over the pillows for good measure. Then I told the kids (8 and 5 at the time) to each pick out a CD.

This is what DJ picked out. We listened to I am the Bullgod about 50 times while my children perfected their stage diving techniques. By the time they were tired of the song, they were tired enough to chill out quietly until dinner time. And a rainy day tradition was born. The downside being my son's inclination to shout "MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!" at the most inappropriate times.

And that is the ONLY reason I still keep this CD around. Sentimentality is the bane of my music collection's existence.

Favorite song: Bawitdaba
This headline makes me giggle

No comments: