Tuesday, November 11, 2008

3. Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends

I could sit here and defend myself for loving this album, maybe tell you about their deep lyrics, or just worm my way out of this one with the excuse that it's my daughter's album. Truth is, I like it. I have emo in my soul, what can I tell you. It’s from all those years of listening to Depeche Mode and wearing black. That shit never leaves you. There’s always a “woe is me” tear waiting to be shed. Always a poem in your past that never leaves, like words scrawled in the margin of a math notebook "my heart has been turned black as a night without the moon. you have torn my soul from body and i shall never feel anything again. i cry tears that are black as tar. woe. woe is me. woe, i say. i hate you and i want you to die." Wait, is that I want you to die or me? I get so confused. Maybe I was goth, not emo.



Favorite song: You're So Last Summer (simply because it's an ode to passive aggressiveness)
Taking Back Sunday official site

7 comments:

phil.gs said...

I was just thinking last night that the horrible, mutated, radioactive monster that we call Emo has sullied every song that ever expressed a tender emotion. The Cure, Depeche Mode, etc. will never be the same. They're still great, but there's part of my brain that thinks, "This is proto-emo. This might be where it all started going wrong." Then I channel my inner gay, and it's all good.

Kat said...

I was in love with "You're So Last Summer" until I saw Taking Back Sunday open a concert on my college campus. It was... so terrible. So bad. Then "MakeDamnSure" redeemed them a tiny bit, but I still can't listen to them without a tiny cringe.

michele said...

I heard they were awful live.
I think I give them much more leeway than other bands because they are local boys.

Woody said...

Emo huh? Shed a tear? Please tell me there isn't a fucking Morrissey review coming...

michele said...

In fact, I think Morrisey will be next.

Woody said...

Sonuva...

Anonymous said...

Cute Without the "E" is by far my fave from this album.

Unlike you, I'm unabashedly a fan of TBS.

I'm a new visitor to this blog and it's sweet!